I believe math history helps students understand the roots of math, answering questions like “why does this method work?” or “what’s so significant?”. Rather than a timeline of discoveries, it digs deeper into how mathematical concepts evolved. In my teaching I can incorporate history by starting the day with one fun fact tied to the concept we are studying. This introduces new knowledge in a small fraction of class time, so students don’t get bored listening through an actual history lesson. Another fun activity is to use math history as an introduction exercise at the start of the term/semester. I can get the students to do a quick research on one historical idea/discovery in math and either share with the group or use it as a small exercise for me to get to know the students!
When I read through the objections, I was questioning whether or not the statement “(O4) Many students dislike history and by implication will dislike history of mathematics, or find it no less boring than mathematics” accurately captures the student perspective of learning. This article presents various ways to incorporate math history into teaching, hence students are not limited to learning pure historical information that they must memorize. It highlights concepts and approaches that were taken in the past that connect to modern methods and results. I believe that this implication is oversimplified and overgeneralized, because history as a subject could be taught differently than math history, where we can visually see the evolution and progress that develops into current math concepts that students learn. Another key point is the value of historical mathematicians as role models in life, to not get discouraged from making errors, facing uncertainties, and having alternative views. This may not only apply to this specific subject, but to various key historical people. In school, we often hold the idea that math is all about getting everything perfect, knowing the correct method to solve problems, and it’s embarrassing to make mistakes on tests. Showing math as trial and error, working through uncertainty, and taking different approaches, could possibly develop a new student mindset to mathematics education.
After reading this article, despite some objections, I would want to challenge myself to try and find a method that can integrate math history into lessons or activities that can aid student learning to develop a meaningful experience in their math class.
You clearly explained both your pre-reading ideas and how the article helped you refine them. I especially liked your point about challenging the objection (O4) and showing how math history can be engaging when presented through connections to modern concepts and role models. Your practical ideas—like starting class with a quick fun fact or assigning short research projects—are also very effective and classroom-ready.
ReplyDeleteSuggestion: To strengthen your reflection even more, you might describe one specific math topic where you’d like to try integrating history, so your ideas move from general strategies to a concrete example.